A while ago I made a hairpin to go with a steampunk outfit. I call it Tempus Fugit because I tinkered wings onto a clockwork.
It all started with a little scribble. And because plans usually don’t survive any longer than me starting work, I skipped making a plan and just tinkered away.
First I intended to make the wings out of some leather. I changed my mind as I couldn’t find anything suitable in my box of odds and sods. So I took a little piece of linen, cut out the wings and imbued it with a mixture of water and liquid glue to harden the linen. This procedure makes the linen look grey and dark which I didn’t like at all. After the wings dried completely I painted them white which I like better.
Then I used copper-coloured wire and glass beads to make the struts
Now, that’s sorted. So far I didn’t think about the body of my „insect“. I had several ideas. Rummaging around in my gear box I dug out this clockwork and that was it.
First I took two extra long hair pins and glued them to the centre with two-component adhesive. Then I glued on the wings. To cover up the adhesive area I added some washers.
Here you can see how long the hair pin is
The whole hair pin is rather heavy. I therefore recommend wearing it with a hairdo on which it can rest. I made a chignon which I stabilized with a donut cushion. The hair pin sat on that all day long without making any troubles.
I did not yet like how it looked where the wings went into the clockwork. So I took my toolbox out again
Now my hair pin is finished and looks like this: